Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tip of the Day:Stain Boards

One of the biggest problems that I face when I am making a project for someone else is picking a color for the stain. Most of the time people just say that they want it oak or cherry which we all know if about as generic an answer as you can get. So when I got to the finishing stage for a recent bookcase I came up with the idea of creating a stain board to show the customer. This worked out well as I was able to show what the stain would look like from one coat to five coats.

The process that I used for this board was very simple. I put one coast on and let it dry at which point I put a piece of tape across the board. I put a second coat of stain on the left side of the piece of tape. I did the same steps over until I reached 5 different stages on staining.

No comments:

Post a Comment